Peer Pitch and Concept Refinement Chart
CATEGORY | DETAILS |
Film OR Magazine | Magazine |
Genre | Food and Travel (Special Interest) |
Target Audience (Be specific) | People who are interested in traveling and seeing different cultures and places around the world and popular foods and recipes in those places. Also, people who like to cook |
What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) | My concept for my magazine is I will feature different places and popular dishes that are served in restaurants around the world. I will also show little things for each place like something to do or places to stay. I will also show copycat recipes so people can make the unique dishes at home. I will also have a lot of eye-catching pictures of the different places to interest the reader. |
How did you conceive the idea for this concept? | I enjoy cooking and trying new foods from different places when I travel, so I wanted to make a magazine that was about one of these topics. Originally, I couldn’t decide if I wanted to do a magazine about food or travel, but then I had the idea to combine both. |
What do you believe is unique about your concept? | Something that I think makes my concept unique is there aren't many magazines that combine both food and travel. There are so many magazines about food and so many about travel but to make things more interesting and different I have combined both topics. This can also bring in buyers because instead of buying two magazines you they can buy mine where I have both topics in one. This will appeal to more audiences and give a new look into food and travel and how there connected. In my magazine I want to provide a little bit about the different places and dishes that are popular there. |
Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? | I think this magazine will be of interest to my audience because it can attract many different people because of the different topics it has both travel and food. It will also appeal to the different audiences with the range of prices for the travel costs and food. (Some higher end while others will be more affordable) My magazine will also appeal to people who like to cook because of the different recipes my magazine will have that will be unique to different places around the world. |
FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS
|
|
To begin, my thoughts on the feedback I received from my pitch to the class was good. I think that people were able to give me more ideas on how to make my magazine more interesting and have different aspects (to get a bigger audience). I saw certain people were interested in my magazine and others not so much. This is ok because I do have a specific topic that not everyone will be interested in, but the class was able to give me ideas on how to expand it. For example, to add what people might want to wear in those places or what is culturally appropriate. The feedback impacted my vision in a good way by helping my vision grow and giving me more ideas on how to grow my concept.
I think many people are interested in travel and it can appeal to all ages. A study found (Amy Watson, October 9,2020 Statista) " According to the data, National Geographic ranked first in terms of print and digital editions with nearly 30 million readers. Conde Nast Traveller had the largest video audience and attracted nearly 3 million readers via mobile. "This has helped me realize that travel is a big topic that will grasp a lot of people's attention but also others by tying in information and recipes about food in those areas of travel. In the article, " The Abundance, joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing: A Conversation with six black editors." (Camille T. Nov-Dec 2020). Alexandra Watson shares, "Like Heather I find joy in watching the evolution of writers we've published in Apogee, which is often the first time I've encountered their work. I like to think that Apogee has played an important role in empowering and amplifying the work of the contributors we publish, in some cases introducing them to new audiences. To see contributors proudly sharing their pieces on social media, to watch other readers react enthusiastically, and especially to watch contributors reading and sharing one another's pieces--these all contribute to a sense of a vibrant community. " This shows that having different audiences for example younger are able to contribute to the magazine industry by seeing things from different views and even being more open to the variety of ways to get your magazines and ideas out there with technology. This has made me want to do a magazine even more because I might be able to offer something different and new, then the ages that normally have been creating magazines. It also states (Nov-Dec 2020)," the importance of this has been heightened by the multitude of reckonings, movements, and dialogues that we are currently having around the globe. I truly believe we are in a celebratory period of literature by and for people of color, not only because it is brilliant and long overdue in an expansive way, but because it is a necessary channel for how humanity will move forward with the idea that the narrative is not beholden to a singular group of people ... no matter how much historical power or privilege they have. To be able to explore that within publishing, use it to have conversations with the world, and better understand the world outside of my own bubble--it is a gift, and I am so proud to celebrate writers willing to do that." This shows that with more diversity in magazines we can grow and not stay in this one spot where we have been for a long time. In my magazine I want to be able to show different places around the world and show diversity with the variety of places, dishes, cultures, etc. Another study (Amy Watson, 2019 Statista) has found "the number of magazine readers in the United States has increased in the last four years, with an estimated total of 216.5 million adult readers in 2015. This has coincided with an increase in digital magazine readers, as there were 16 million U.S. digital magazine readers in 2015, in comparison to 3.3 million in 2011. " This shows that magazines are still popular and now a days with all our technology, research, and knowledge it would be a great time to make a magazine. According to many studies magazines that have the same niche (special interest) as me are doing well! The author, (Nick Bezuidenhout,2019,Wood Wing) states,” Niche publishers have not merely survived the past decade - many of them are thriving. They’ve managed this feat by staying relentlessly focused on one specific category and by thoroughly understanding the types of content and information that their audiences want, need – and in some cases, what readers don’t yet know they need,” says CredSpark, an audience insight specialist.” This shows that many magazines like the one I want to create are thriving and can still be successful today. Over all, there are many factors that have played out and helped back up my decision on doing a food and travel magazine.
Comments
Post a Comment